Search This Blog

May 13, 2014

Smithville 8hr 2014 AR

Smithville 8hr AR - Bonkhard Racing 5/10/14





Nathan and I had some pretty high hopes going into this race. Smithville doesn't do check-in to supply teams with maps and clue sheets until race morning with just 2hrs before the gun. That made me really nervous, but it actually turned out to be fine. We had more than enough time. Mostly because they had only given out what was needed for the first 2 legs (trek then bike) with no UTM points to plot. In our planning, there were only a couple areas where we debated route choices. It went fast and we were able to kick back and relax while waiting for the start. The weather was wonderful and bordered on too warm.

We are the first to get to the line and weren't shy about being right up front. We chatted a bit with the Wild Hares team who we were with often as it turns out. We couldn't hear Gary with the countdown, but all of a sudden there were cow bells and the group started forward. We wasted no time to be off and running. We cut across a field and took a direct line to the paved trail everyone was going to be using. When our route merged with the others, we were in the lead! We kept up a fast but comfortable pace. We did get passed, but there was no worry with so much race left. We were the first team to break off from the paved trail for another short cut. It would have been worth it, but there was a little confusion with multiple fence lines to figure out. It made us a little late to CP#1. We were right back with the leaders just after CP#2 though and nailed the rest of the CPs in the first trek. We came into TA#1 in first place just like we like it.

A quick change out of the trekking pants, bike shoes, helmet, and pack up our paddles before heading out. Still in first. Just before reaching the first bike CP, I realized I had left our passport in my zipped pants pocket that was now shoved in my pack. I pulled off my pack as quick as I could when we got there and dug for the pants. Luck was on my side. The zipped pocked just happened to be right on top. Punch, repack pants, throw on my pack, and we're back on the road. Normally I have the passport in the chest pocket of whatever jacket I'm wearing, but it was too hot for that. Those few extra seconds allowed a team (I believe it was Tiny Trail Ninjas) to catch us. It was the first, but it wouldn't be the last. At one point we were back in 5th behind Team Fusion/Kuat, G-Force, Tiny Trail Ninjas, and Wild Hares. G-Force was absolutely flying! There was one tricky turn that took us to CP11 before CP10. This proved to be a big time saver for us and we leaped back over Tiny Trail Ninjas and Wild Hares to finish the bike leg in 3rd to start the paddle.


First, a gear check and loading the bikes into the canoes. No problem. We're off to paddle with our bikes to drop them off at the next CP which is a bit of an out and back run. We get a good look at the teams ahead of us on our way there because of that. We unloaded the bikes and made sure they were put back together and ready to ride. The other 4 person team, Tiny Trail Ninjas, who had pretty much caught us, didn't do that and it allowed them to leave at the same time. We just stayed with them for the most part and made up a little ground on 2nd place, G-Force. Fusion/Kuat was in the lead and nowhere to be found.

We got a new map and UTMs to plot for the next trek. Nathan left me to start on the plotting. I completely blanked on how to do it. I knew the general area of where the CP should be ploted, but I didn't know how to use the tool correctly. Nathan had always done it and I just assumed I could too. Bummer. I had to wait for him and help him plot it all out. Fusion was long gone, Tiny Trail Ninjas and G-Force were both already gone. I started out with the map. As we started on our way, I mention to Nathan, "I think we should swim!". We'd never had to consider that before. Sure enough, it's decided to swim the coves instead of going around since it was so far. The first one I decide to take off shoes and socks. BIG mistake! A few steps into the lake I step on a branch under the water and cut the arch of my foot. No good. I left my socks off, but had my shoes on for the second crossing. It wasn't as hard as I'd had the impression of it to swim with shoes on. A much larger crossing this time and happy to be back on shore. OH NO! A check of the map and Nathan points out that we passed up a CP! We had to go back. That meant doing the bigger swim section two more times. It was a HUGE mistake and it cost us tons of time. This put us right even with the Wild Hares team and unknown status for what place. I'm glad they were there and gave us something to fight for. We finished the trek with a slight lead on them.

Back to our bikes, we were headed back to the original bike drop location where we would get our final map and CPs. We held a steady pace, but the Wild Hares caught us and passed us with ease. They were really flying and easily ended up with the best time split for that section. We did our best to not let their lead get too large. We made it there, got our last map for a small bike-o to the finish. We were told to avoid the single track because of the rain that we had. We had to stick to the paved trail with no bike whacking. The Wild Hares were still hanging around and I'm not sure why. We even started out that last leg slightly before them. With the order of getting the CPs being pretty straight forward, we were stuck together the whole way. Trading the lead, but neither team able to get a gap on the other. We left the last CP with the slimmest of leads. However, their strong biking put them in front of us in no time. With nothing but the finish line left, we dug deep to not let them get away. We were right there. We each used the same route to the finish that we had used to go out at the start. That was great news and our more direct route was just enough to put us ahead and crossing the field in front of them. They jumped down into the field as well and were trying to catch and pass. I crossed the finish line first and then Nathan squeezed in just before them too! It was a CRAZY finish and the closest I'd ever been in or seen for an adventure race. 7.5 hours of racing came down to practically a photo finish getting us 5th place overall and 2nd in the 2 person male division behind G-Force. Congrats to Team Fusion/Kuat for the win and another great race put on by Bonkhard Racing! I'm so happy to live in an area to be able to do so many of their races.


Here's some of the links for more information about the race:
Smithville 8hr race page
Bonkhard Racing page
Smithville 8hr Results page
Smithville 8hr photos and race reports
Garmin race data (only partial. It must have gotten bumped in my pack right before our first swim. Bummer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment